vrijdag 13 juni 2014

GLI:N ZERO PLASTIC WEEK CHALLENGE DAY #5 : How could you easily connect with local people as a foreigner ?

13. June 2014 Friday

Yes, the ice broke: I HAD TO go to the shops. I had no choice. We had no veggies and fruits anymore.


So I ran to the shops. 
In the first section of the shop where they sell fresh veggies and fruits I could hardly find any without packaging.

What? yes. 

It is absurd but that`s a fact. 

Even if there are certain products without packaging the only option for packaging material that a customer can use is a plastic bag. brrr... I thought ok, do not panic , today is a market day. 

So I went to the meat & coldcuts section. Nothing, not a single product without plastic packaging. 

At that point I felt, OMG, so what can an average mother buy who is just rushing through a shop with a screaming toddler for instance? 

Nothing. 

My stress level raised pretty fast close to an inner alarm. I felt, I want to run out. Wherever I turned, I saw only plastic packaging. I was so thankful , that I did not come to the shops for 5 days. I saved a lot of stress already. I realized, I went faster and faster through the rows of plastic and I was telling my shopping list as a mantra, repeating half loud, as if somebody listened to it , suddenly the products would turn up without plastic. 


You could guess what happened because I continued at the milk products section. 

At that point  I could hardly breeze. Again ZERO product without plastic. 
I just wanted to run out to the fresh air.
 I did. 
Luckily on the way out I realized, that the cornstrach that I needed is in paper packaging. 
Even at that point of stress level, I could not feel satisfied or happy. I just wanted to leave. 
The only good thing that I grabbed from the shop was a big paper box, that they store around the kassa`s. 

Yes. I was out. 


I left with a box of cornstrach and a paper box. 

When I felt the sunshine on my face, I got relieved. 
Ok, Let`s check the MARKET. 
I stopped by at the first veggie`s stand and started collecting lively, colorful, food without packaging. Even when I realized that they had also paper bags, I allowed us to enjoy the first fresh cherries. You cannot imagine what I felt at that moment. The big cartoon box was not even big enough to carry all these products. 
Next to them was the cheese farmer and indeed he had also paper packing material at his hand. Yes. 
Maybe we could not have cold cuts , but we can have cheese. What else do you need if you live in the Netherlands? 
My next challenge was to buy bread. At the baker's I just took my naked loaf of bread. 
You know what ? I could not stand all these adventure, so I decided to buy "kibbeling" little freshly baked fish from the typical dutch visboer, the local fish farmer. 
So I was done. Did it feel good to shop ? No. We are still missing meat and milk. 

What did I learn?
If you want to shop with less plastic packaging, you need to plan your shopping. Not only the product list should be done, but also you need to know your local shops. You need minimum a butcher , a baker and a vegetable & fruit shop. Also you should take your own packing material. Probably all these shops you won't find in one geographical location, so better to plan these visits, otherwise you will end up shopping a half day. 

Ok I had also really positive experience while I was shopping. 

The sellers at the baker's, by the fish, cheese, veggies tables they were friendly. We chatted with each other. They all were open for something different. They all had a big smile to me. 

And of course, again the competition to find out which nationality I have was on again. This time they guessed I am from France and the other  thought that I was Swedish. :) 
I got used to that, living almost 10 years abroad, trying to speak always the local language with my talent, these are the first topics that connects me to people. 
I do believe that helped me to get integrated always, no matter which country I lived. 
The best way was to try to speak their language. 
The cheery on the top of the cake this time was, that  I did not want anything with plastic packaging around. 
And you know what, the human connections, friendship comes without plastic. Sometimes you just need to start something different, unexpected and you will benefit from it. I am sure.

Have a GLI:N and plastic free weekend

Rita

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten